Old April 17th 09, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Photography on London Underground - yes, it's allowed

On Apr 17, 1:23*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

Hi,

I've seen this link posted on a few blogs recently (though it's
existed for ages) that appears to say casual photography is banned on
London Underground:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/media/5225.aspx

"Any individual or film production company wanting to film or take
photographs on the Tube must seek prior permission from the London
Underground (LU) Film Office."

Of course, the Film Office only has jurisdiction over professionals
(and students etc) doing proper photo shoots, and also there's nothing
in the conditions of carriage banning passengers from using cameras.
So it's reasonable to think that, despite appearances, this statement
doesn't apply to passengers casually taking pictures.

Anyway, I've emailed the film office to confirm, posing as a confused
commuter, and they confirm it's allowed:

"If you are acting like a tourist and from what I can gather you are,
then you do not need to obtain a permit from us. *It is only if you
are setting up a photograph or a scene to film and you are going to be
on the station longer than 5 to 10 minutes that you would need to
obtain a permit."

I've asked them to update the page (no response yet) and, if you've
got nowt else to do this afternoon, I suggest emailing
asking them to be clearer on their website
about what's what.

We had a discussion on this last week. By my reckoning the crux of the
matter is the muddled use of terminology - on the LU Film Office
webpage (linked to above) they speak of "student or non-professional"
permits, the problem bit being "non-professional" which is not defined
anywhere. For as long as the meaning of that phrase is not explained
properly then the occasional hysteria can be expected.