Old December 18th 03, 06:44 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.transport.air,uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Massive Airport expansion announced

Terry Harper wrote:
"MrBitsy" wrote in message
news
Terry Harper wrote:

One of the three, at least, will be in use for take-off only. It
ought to be possible for the aircraft on the middle runway approach
to turn towards that other runway and do a circuit in that
direction.

However at LHR the proposed third runway is a short one, and so
presumably will be used by smaller aircraft for both landings and
take-off.

Two outside runways have simultaneous take offs - I very much doubt
they will be turning towards one another, therefore the landing on
the center can go straight on!

We're not talking about a landing, but the need to "go round again"
if the landing has to be aborted. This is unlikely to happen later
than when the captain calls finals, when he will be a couple of miles
away from the threshold, at least.

That's not a reasonable assumption. A go-around sometimes happens much
later than that, for example because of the previous aircraft not having
cleared the runway, or because radio contact with the tower is lost (see
photo of a recent example at http://www.airliners.net/open.file/426634/M
and you will realise just how low it was). The standard procedure is climb
straight ahead to 3000 ft and then proceed as instructed by ATC.
--
Richard J.