Old April 21st 09, 05:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] furles@mail.croydon.ac.uk is offline

Default Curious building in Northampton Grove, N1

On 21 Apr, 02:36, "John Rowland"
wrote:
At the dead end of Northampton Grove is a gated courtyard with a building in
the middle, and the building has a horizontal girder sticking out about
three metres off the ground. The girder runs over the courtyard before
joining at an oblique angle with anorther girder running over the gateway.
You can see it hehttp://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=...r8fjgzs9jg&sty...
The buiding is the one in the centre, seemingly at 45 degrees to everything
else in the picture, and the girder is the black line running diagonally
towards the bottom left,until it joins the gateway girder running left to
right. You can see the shadows of the girder and the gateway girder a little
above the girders.

So what's that about?

I was going to ask if there's anything water-related nearby, because
it looks a bit like a pumping station. When I looked around a bit
there's something called 'New River Walk' nearby. The New River was
originally a man-made cut constructed to bring fresh water into
London. It now runs underground, but continues to perform its
original function, so my guess would be that this is a pumping station
of some sort, and the girders are for lifting equipment in and out.