Old April 22nd 09, 11:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Railcard changes w.e.f. 17/05/09

On Apr 22, 11:49*pm, "John Salmon" wrote:

[Crossposted to utl; original thread in uk.r]

"Paul Harley" wrote

From Newsrail Express 390:

Price Changes from 17 May 2009

[useful details snipped]
Just for clarification, does the (e.g. Senior) railcard discount for
('inboundary') off-peak day travelcards continue? *If so, how much will an
'all-zones' (1-6) railcard-discounted off-peak day travelcard cost? [Yes, I
know 1-6 isn't really all the zones, but you know what I mean...]

There's no mention of any changes to the existing arrangements for
Railcard-discounted inboundary Off-peak Day Travelcards, just a
mention that there won't be a discount available to inboundary
*Anytime* Day Travelcards as there will be for their outboundary
equivalents. So I surmise that they continue - there'd be a small riot
if this discount suddenly disappeared! (In particular amongst 16-25
Railcard holders whom I suspect make up the majority of such
purchases.)

(Which leads me to wondering about whether it'd be worthwhile for some
suitably located borderline folk to head out to an outboundary station
rather than an inboundary one so as to get the discount - certainly it
has been mentioned that GroupSave can make doing just that worthwhile,
as it doesn't apply to journeys wholly within the London zones. And
this all leads me on to pondering about purchasing tickets online for
journeys from outboundary stations collection to take advantage of
Railcard discounts/ GroupSave, and then collecting them at local
inboundary London stations... hmm, interesting!)

TTBOMK the price of a Railcard-discounted Off-peak Day Travelcard has
only ever gone up in January - i.e. at the same time as the annual
price rise of Day Travelcards - though bizarrely it seems to follow
its own course somewhat, as it stayed £4.80 for at least a couple of
years, though it's now £5.00.

(Incidentally this £5 price is cheaper than the level of any Oyster
PAYG cap that includes Tube travel in zone 1 - e.g. the zone 1&2 cap
is £5.10. However this is only really of benefit to Network Railcard
holders during weekends and bank holidays, as holders of 16-25 and
Senior Railcards can get a discount entitlement loaded onto their
Oyster cards which means they can take advantage of discounted Oyster
daily caps, and the Network Railcard minimum fare of £10 - to be £13 -
means inboundary Day Travelcards don't cost enough to be discounted.)