Old April 23rd 09, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
David A Stocks[_2_] David A Stocks[_2_] is offline

Default East London Line Ex Ph 2 funding deal / loss of Vic - Bellingham service

"Mizter T" wrote in message

A few follow on thoughts about Shoreditch High Street (SHS) being put
in zone 1. One thing I'd failed to include in my considerations above
is the rail-only season ticket. Therefore, were SHS to have been in
zone 2, then the calculation for price-conscious City commuters may
have been between a rail-only season from say Sydenham to London
Terminals (i.e. London Bridge/ Cannon Street) and either a season
Travelcard (covering whatever zones were needed but excluding
expensive z1) or Oyster PAYG single fares, whichever is the cheaper.

From further out it makes a huge difference. I have been commuting from
Hove/Brighton to Victoria for a number of years, and am contemplating the
possibility of travelling to Hanger Lane every day instead. The current
annual season ticket prices are roughly:

Hove to London Terminals £3,500 (current ticket)
Hove to Zones 1-6 £4,000
Hove to Zones 2-6 £3,000 (using Overground from CLJ to SPB)

The other thought I've just had is whether or not SHS would be
classified as a 'London Terminal' - which is particularly relevant for
journeys from south London, as it could mean that commuters could
choose between heading to London Bridge/Cannon Street or SHS to get to
the City.

On the basis of the above figures I would say this would make a lot of
sense - it would work a bit like City Thameslink does for journeys from the
south.

I think I used the ELL once, when I was working near Finsbury Square and my
train from the coast shuddered to a halt at New Cross without much prospect
of going further any time soon. I got to work .... eventually.

D A Stocks