Old April 24th 09, 08:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
John Salmon[_3_] John Salmon[_3_] is offline

Default Railcard changes w.e.f. 17/05/09

"Andrew Wilson" wrote in message

"John Salmon" wrote in message
"Mizter T" wrote
I shall have to try buying one for myself from an LU station then.
Unless I've gone mad the price of the Railcard-discounted Day
Travelcards I've bought from NR stations lately has been £5.00. I can't
think why LU would charge a different price! (Unless LU round things
down, and NR rounds them up - but that doesn't make any sense as
two-thirds of £7.50 - the full price of a z1-6 Day Travelcard - is bang
on £5.00.) The strange mysteries of ticketing...

The railcard discount is 34%, i.e. slightly more than one-third, so the
rounding up/down theory *may* be correct. I have a feeling that the
£4.90/£5.00 discrepancy between LU and "NR" has been mentioned before on
uk.r or utl, but I could be wrong. You are right that (at least some)
National Rail stations charge £5.00; I haven't bought one from LU
recently.

Has LU started offering railcard discounts recently? Every time I've tried
to buy a Z1-6 Day Travelcard with my disabled railcard I've been told that
LU don't do them so I normally to buy them from NR stations. If this is
now the case however do you get more for your money if you buy one from
LU?

I'm not sure about 'recently' and I'm not sure how consistent it is across
the whole of LU. I've certainly bought a Senior Railcard discounted
Travelcard at Cockfosters (after driving there from Retford); at one time,
as you're suggesting, it was difficult/impossible to get railcard discounts
at LU stations. I expect someone will be along soon with the facts...