Old April 24th 09, 10:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london
redcat redcat is offline

Default Oyster £3 deposit to be charged for season tickets

tim..... wrote:
"Mizter T" wrote in message

On Apr 24, 1:06 am, asdf wrote:
An article in thelondonpaper this evening states that the £3 deposit
for obtaining a new Oyster card (currently only payable if using PAYG
or buying a weekly season ticket) will, from May, also be charged when
buying a longer-than-weekly season ticket.

When did the £3 deposit start being implemented for weekly tickets? It
didn't used to be.

I suspect this is a result of the TfL budget crunch.

A bit of a shame in one way, but an Oyster card obviously carries a
higher cost, and also I don't really like the notion that people might
have considered them as being disposable (having objections to the
'disposable culture' and all that).

Nonetheless, people will inevitably get annoyed that they need to pay
for the medium on which their ticket is stored, as well as paying for
the ticket itself.

At least by this stage there are already lots of Oyster cards out
there.

Helsinki issue tourist tickets on Chip cards which IIRC are free, but Lisbon
charged for card to load with "day tickets" which there seems to be no
possibility of a refund

tim

I had to pay the L3 for an oyster card last year. And now I can't even
conveniently charge it up online for payg, because I have US credit
cards and the system can't accept them.

Gov wins. They got L6 off of us, then changed the rules. Money for
nothing.

redcat