Old April 27th 09, 11:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default London Underground 'best metro in Europe'

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009 16:03:17 +0100, Ian Jelf

Interesting.

Having bought a book at the weekend featuring Metro rolling stock from
across Europe I was astonished at the photos of the Rome Metro trains. I
didn't use the Metro when I was in Rome having been deterred by a truly
horrendous entrance by Roma Termini. The trains are filthy and
plastered with graffiti - the whole thing is utterly offputting. How the
Romans actually tolerate such neglect I just don't know - I can't think
of one railway system in the world whose stock is in such bad condition.

Hmm. I was in Rome a while ago, and didn't get that impression at all. It
all seemed fine to me. The stations tended to be a bit dank, like Euston
Square is, and the trains were more New York (specifically, the J train)
than London in terms of comfort, but it was fine to use.

I have though heard that Madrid and Barcelona have truly splendid
networks, although I've not been to either.

On my list to visit but again my new Metro book shows some wonderful and
interesting rolling stock for those networks. The other knack they have
is to keep extending their networks all the time - there seems to be no
end to their willingness and ability to improve their Metro and tram (in
Barcelona) systems.

Madrid's is lovely. The new line out to the airport is particularly fine -
the station at the airport itself is gorgeous. Barcelona's was fine when i
was there several years ago, but quite like Rome, ie nothing exciting. The
fact that the network also includes funiculars and cable-cars is rather
excellent, though!

tom

--
.... the gripping first chapter, which literally grips you because it's
printed on a large clamp.