Old April 28th 09, 10:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
David A Stocks[_2_] David A Stocks[_2_] is offline

Default London Underground 'best metro in Europe'

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message ,
writes

I wouldn't categorise it as anything
close to the best. I'll take frequent services and cheap tickets over tidy
stations any day. The NYC subway is a dump but the trains are fast,
frequent,
air conditioned and it doesn't cost much.

Are they any more frequent than our Tube? I didn't get that impression (I
appreciate that they have express services superimposed.). I also found
it a much harder system to navigate.

I remember it took a while to get used to the conventions it has on
signposting within stations. There is (or maybe was - I was living there in
1991/2, and haven't returned since) a deliberate lack of signs within
stations, but a very consistent set of rules about where each type of sign
is and what it says. It takes a while to get used to the rules, but once you
know where to look it's a doddle.

D A Stocks