Old April 28th 09, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default London Underground 'best metro in Europe'

Clive wrote on 28 April 2009 16:42:41 ...
In message
,
Alex writes
If they were to rate architecture and general impressiveness of
appearance - then Moscow Metro would probably win. But as a transport
service it certainly lags behind.

I found the Moscow Metro a curious setup, the trains seemed old but all
had rheostatic braking, and I didn't like the juice rail right under the
platform instead of furthest away. Paris has stations too close together
and their rubber tyre stock can throw you off balance when braking, like
Ligne 1 at Les Halles, the train brakes, enters the station then
accelerates then brakes suddenly to a halt.

In my experience the acceleration/deceleration of the rubber-tyred
trains is no worse than the Central Line, and your description of
arriving at Les Halles (it's Line 4 by the way) sounds just like the
Victoria Line.

--
Richard J.