Old April 29th 09, 02:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london
David of Broadway David of Broadway is offline

Default London Underground 'best metro in Europe'

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 16:42:41 +0100, Clive wrote:

New York, (where every car
is both a power car and driving car) can be confusing and has a habit of
missing stations unless you're very careful, I've had to walk back the
full length of Central Park before now.

You do realize that you could have just transferred to a local going back
in the other direction to reach your desired stop.

If you can figure out the Metropolitan line, New York's easy. At least
we give our locals and expresses different names (in most cases).

Incidentally, not every car is a driving car, if I understand your
terminology correctly. In the past, most of our rolling stock has
consisted of either single cars or married pairs, but the last of the
married pairs are in the process of retirement as we speak, and most of
the newer cars are linked into half-train-length units (four 60-foot
cars, four 75-foot cars, five 60-foot cars, or five 51-foot cars,
depending on the line). Except for the five-car R62/R62A units and the
four-car R68/R68A units, which were built as singles and "unitized" in
the 90's, only the end cars (called A cars) have cabs; it is impossible
to operate the train or the doors from the middle (B) cars. A handful of
R62A and R68 singles will remain, to handle a few special cases - the 7
train runs 11-car trains (generally one five-car unit plus six single
R62A's), the 42 St shuttle runs two 3-car trains and one 4-car train (all
R62A singles), and the the Franklin Av shuttle runs two 2-car trains of
R68's.

But that's enough New York car trivia for today.
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA