Old May 6th 09, 06:39 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Tony Polson[_2_] Tony Polson[_2_] is offline

Default Park and train in/near West London

Mizter T wrote:

Thanks for the info - I'll happily defer to your greater experience of
trying to do this. My Hillingdon suggestion evidently wasn't a very
good one then! Passing it when going along the A40, Hillingdon station
seems like an obvious candidate, but it's obviously not - that's what
comes from knowing what's out there but never having actually tried to
make use of it!

[...] I usually drive to Amersham and
take Chiltern to either Harrow-on-the-Hill or Mar-lee-bone and the
Underground from either of those. [...]

I see from the TfL website that it's not an LU car park... so I've
just checked the Chiltern DC website and voila, all the requisite info
is there (680 spaces, =A35 maximum cost for a day's parking):
I'm guessing there's always a space?

In my experience, yes, and I usually travel after the morning peak when
you would expect it to be at its fullest.

I suppose another advantage of Amersham is that the fares are cheaper,
as LU fares apply including on Chiltern Railways.

Indeed. Chiltern from Aylesbury is getting expensive:

Anytime Day Travelcard is £30.50, Off Peak Day Travelcard is £20.00.

From Amersham:

Anytime Day Travelcard is £16.20, Off Peak Day Travelcard is £9.00.

Even with the cost of parking and diesel, it's a lot cheaper.

But I have also driven a few times to
North Ealing station (Piccadilly Line) where you can usually get a space
in the car park by early afternoon. =A0I didn't suggest North Ealing
because, if you cannot find a parking space, the alternatives are not
easy if you don't know the area. =A0I used to live in Ealing, so I know it
quite well.

The magic of local knowledge!

It's definitely best to avoid Hillingdon. It was a lost opportunity; a
great idea for a park and ride but just not enough parking.