Old May 6th 09, 09:21 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
No Name

Default More Piccys from the IOW

"Tony Polson" wrote in message

Perhaps some more recent Tube stock could be purchased instead? The
Victoria Line stock is being replaced. I know its alloy construction
would be less than ideal but perhaps some high tech corrosion protection
could be applied? Using old rolling stock on the Island is in keeping
with the long established tradition of using secondhand stock from the
mainland.

I'm guessing that it would be difficult to put 67Ts on the Island Line
because of the modifications that would be required, besides just for the
3rd rail shoes.

Victoria stock is built primarily to run on ATO. I believe that, even in
coded manual, the 67TS is designed not to exceed 25 miles -- to say nothing
of what their speeds would be if they were set at uncoded manual. In
comparison, permitted speeds on the Island Line are 45 miles.

I'm really not sure what sort of modifications would need to be carried out
on Victoria stock for that, however. Is it possible that they could just cut
out certain circuit breakers?

One other thing that Victoria stock would require on the IOW are trip cocks.
AFAIK, 67TS trains do not have them and they would have to be installed,
unless there are plans to carry out major modifications to the Island Line's
signalling infratsructure. Again, however, I don't know what sort of work
would be required to install trip cocks on 67TS stock.

I know that the 62As on the Metropolitan Line are due to be replaced in the
next year or so. Would they not make a more suitable alternative for the
Island Line? Would the loading gauges be an issue?

Perhaps the 313s would be more suitable as they are also due to be replaced
and require guards?