Old May 7th 09, 05:43 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
rail rail is offline

Default More Piccys from the IOW

In message
Bill Hayles wrote:

On Thu, 07 May 2009 07:39:45 +0100, rail
wrote:

Yes, 1929/1931 stock (class 485 in BR parlance). I'll post some photos
later.

I'm not picking on you specifically, Graeme,

Feel free :-)

but everybody is giving
different dates for the standard stock.

The earliest cars refurbished and shipped over were built in 1923, the
latest in 1931. The step plate on every door was engraved with the
maker's name and date of building. AFAIR there were 2 1923 cars (with a
central door pillar)

Thanks for that, I was going from the notes I made for my slide catalogue at
the time, probably taken from the relevant door sills on the stock I
travelled on.

God, I'm getting old - I learnt all about standard stock when it was
running on the Central and Piccadilly lines (plus the Northern City line
for the pedants).

I remember seeing it parked up at Acton works in the early 60s but don't
recall ever seeing it in service.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail