Old May 8th 09, 11:22 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Charles Ellson Charles Ellson is offline

Default More Piccys from the IOW

On Fri, 08 May 2009 08:17:44 +0100, wrote:

On Thu, 7 May 2009 11:23:32 +0100, wrote:

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:

Yes, they started off with 1929 "Standard" Stock, which had some of the
traction equipment mounted above the floor in motor cars. It was
intended that the Standard Stock would last for 10 years,

Any Standard Stock still lying about, say stabled out of sight at Ryde St.
John's? Do they ever take them out for a bit of a joyride?

None on the Island, some was returned to London and is stored at the
Acton Museum Depot. It is unrestored and none operational.
I doubt if it will ever run again. By the time funds are found to
restore it I would think any lines it could run on would have been
modernised with signaling systems that would be incompatable with an
old train.

That's already been dealt with on LU by waiting for close of traffic
and running a tour as "one engine in steam" (or juice?).

Some photos towards the bottom of this page.
http://www.cravensheritagetrains.co.uk/preserved.htm

G.Harman