Old December 20th 03, 08:44 PM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
Mikael Armstrong Mikael Armstrong is offline

Default reducing congestion

"Conor" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
"Oliver Keating" wrote in message

"Cast_Iron" wrote in message
Given the that the increased road congestion in Friday and Sunday
evenings
is caused by many people going and from to their country cottages

for
the
weekend, isn't it time that second homes attracted a punative rate

of
council tax?

An added bonus of this would be to free-up houses in rural and other
touristy areas that young people on local wages could afford to buy

or
rent
who would then spend money in the local economy.

Absouletely. Anyone with a second home should be made to absolutely

pay
through-the-nose for it.

Are you suggesting then that people who buy a small flat near their

place of
work and have a house in the suburbs or countryside where the rest of

their
family live should be penalised for it? Surely you would advocate people
living close to where they work and reducing their reliance upon the
transport infrastructure? Taxes like everything work both ways.

What about people in rural villages who were born there but are unable
to buy property because people from cities have bought up all the
houses and pushed up the prices beyond reach?

Well I'm sure permission could be granted for the construction of a few
extra houses to satisfy some of the demand.

--
Conor

"Cogito Eggo Sum" - "I think, therefore I am a waffle"