Old May 14th 09, 02:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
Alistair Bell[_2_] Alistair Bell[_2_] is offline

Default Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursdayevening?

On May 14, 4:40*am, MIG wrote:
On 14 May, 08:05, Tom Crispin
wrote:
2. *From London Bridge, follow the A200 [Tooley Street (bus/cycle
lanes), Jamaica Road (bus lanes), Lower Road (bus lanes), Evelyn
Street], then right Deptford Church Street (nasty junction, bus
lanes), ahead Brookmill Road, ahead Thurston Street, left Loampit
Vale, ahead Lewisham High Street (nasty roundabout, bus lane), left
Lee High Road, right Manor Park, right Staplehurst Road, arrive Hither
Green.

Route 2 ain't so bad really. *Even the apparently terrifying
roundabout at Rotherhithe is surprisingly easy. *The only really
horrible bit is trying to turn right into Deptford Church Street,
where you can't get into the right lane. *It might be avoided by using
Deptford High Street and Giffin Street (no market that time of day).

Ditto. I used to cycle something very like this route to work on a
regular basis. It's easy and mostly fairly flat. And I agree with the
diversion via the market -- that makes life easier.

(That said, I was cycling this route 1992-1994; things may have
changed a bit, though I don't think they've changed all that much.)

But with all that said, I'd be tempted to just leave the bike at
Hither Green (or Lewisham) station in the morning. Or just not cycle
that day.