Old May 15th 09, 07:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
MIG MIG is offline

Default Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursdayevening?

On 15 May, 01:19, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2009, Tom Crispin wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2009 18:23:02 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Thu, 14 May 2009, Tom Crispin wrote:

2. *From London Bridge, follow the A200 [Tooley Street (bus/cycle
lanes), Jamaica Road (bus lanes), Lower Road (bus lanes),

So far, a route i've done - that's how i got the bike home from Decathlon,
at Surrey Quays, where i bought it!

Evelyn Street], then right Deptford Church Street (nasty junction, bus
lanes), ahead Brookmill Road, ahead Thurston Street, left Loampit Vale,
ahead Lewisham High Street (nasty roundabout, bus lane), left Lee High
Road, right Manor Park, right Staplehurst Road, arrive Hither Green.

That looks good. I would normally just do this, but am put off quite a lot
by the fact that i haven't got a map - i just didn't have room in my bag
to pack my A-Z, and that part of London being terra incognita to me, i've
never ordered cycle guides for it (well, not until five minutes ago, but
in horse - stable door terms, that doesn't count).

Actually, i tell a lie - i've just looked at the ancient second-issue
sheet 11, and the route just clips the corner - the bottom left corner is
roundabout Honor Oak Crematorium, which means it covers the route from
Surrey Quays, not to Hither Green station, but to my destination halfway
down Lee High Road. Right, the Wheels of Aluminium, rather than Steel, it
is!

I will be interested to learn how accurate my estimate of 40 minutes
was.

Computer said 35 minutes, and 7.1 miles (i think). It only counts rolling
time; going by what i remember of the time, i probably spent another five
minutes sitting in traffic and looking at the map, so your estimate was
actually extremely accurate. Even though i started somewhere else
(Spitalfields) and finished somewhere else (just of Lee High Road, near
where Manor Park goes off).

Some of the roads had absolutely shocking surfaces - Brookmill Road i
think was the worst.

tom

--
When they finally drop the bomb, the only survivors will be cockroaches
and Marathon Pluses. -- Mark T, uk.rec.cycling- Hide quoted text -

Nearly every road in the area has had sewers done in the last couple
of years. This may explain some of it.