Old May 15th 09, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.rec.cycling
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursdayevening?

On Fri, 15 May 2009, Tom Crispin wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2009 01:35:12 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

The worst bit, i thought, was where Deptford Church Street crossed New
Cross Road: the road on both sides was too narrow for a car to pass me
safely (or at all, really), there was no ASL, and drivers certainly
came at it with the intention of going much faster than i was able to,
so the departure from the lights was a bit stressful. And the surface!
My god! Have the RAF being dumping their old cluster bombs there or
something?

Primary position at that crossing is a necessity. I've done it so
many times, I have forgotten how tricky it was first time.

Ah, i'd shamelessly filtered to near the front, and then found that i
couldn't take a secondary position, and chickened out of scooting out in
front of the head of the queue to take primary. In the end i just pedalled
like mad and prayed.

The most educational bit of the ride was getting behind some fairly
petite, slightly dumpy girl who was riding the same way at the top of
Lower Road, idly deciding to make her my pace rider, and then being
highly chastened to find that i had to pedal like the absolute clappers
to keep up with her! I was a bit relieved when i had to stop and look
at a map, and she rapidly vanished into the distance ...

That sounds like Katie, coordinator of Lewisham Cyclists.

Well if it was, don't tell her i called her dumpy.

tom

--
We need a higher electric field, a higher polarisation product, a longer
storage time and more neutrons. -- NEDM