Old May 16th 09, 10:06 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mr Thant Mr Thant is offline

Default Crossrail under way

On 16 May, 02:04, Tom Anderson wrote:
Wow. I didn't realise it was going to grow out of the water like that. How
is it connected to dry land on the side we can't see? Two little bridges
like on the side we can, or more? The bridges on this side don't seem like
a lot of capacity for such a major station.

I've had a dig through the planning documents. The arrangements a

North side, west end:
- Lifting pedestrian bridge (upper level) - in white in the photo
- Lifting pedestrian bridge (ground level) - in brown in the photo

(why yes sir, a double decker draw bridge)

North side, east end:
- Lifting road bridge (upper level)

South side, west end (the main entrance):
- Fixed pedestrian ramp leading all the way to North Colonnade (upper
level)
- Fixed pedestrian bridge (ground level)

South side, middle:
- Fixed pedestrian bridge (ground level)

South side, east end:
- Fixed road bridge with pedestrian access (upper level)
- Very wide fixed pedestrian area above dock (ground level)

Diagram he
http://tinyurl.com/ojt5nc

Also, the whole roof lattice is made out of WOOD!

Can it be a colonnade if it's trees? I'm sure there's a word for this -
i've looked it up and found 'allee', but that's not what i was thinking
of.

The roads either side of Canada Square and Canary Wharf DLR are called
North and South Colonnade, despite having no discernible colonnisity
that I've noticed. I've decided everything gets to be a colonnade
around here.