Old May 16th 09, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Scott Paul Scott is offline

Default Crossrail under way

"Roland Perry" wrote in message
In message , at 12:06:12 on
Sat, 16 May 2009, remarked:

Why? It's not as if the docks are required for shipping any more.

They are part of the landscape. If not, why didn't they just fill them in
when they started building the area - it would have been so much simpler.

Having scanned a few of the many press releases now, some of the excavated
material from this site is being used to backfill the dock outside the
piling, up to the minimum depth 'at the access routes' - which I take to
mean the top cill at the entrance locks. I assume this reduces the pressure
against the lower levels of the concrete walls?

Another point I've just spotted is there are other station names that are
supposedly provisional - they quote Liverpool St and Farringdon for
instance, as they link to Moorgate and Barbican respectively.

To save searching can anyone remember where the other ends of the Bond St
and Tottenham Court Rd stations are - IIRC they aren't near existing
stations though.

Paul S