Old May 17th 09, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Taking a bike from London Bridge to Hither Green on a thursday

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Sat, 16 May 2009,
wrote:

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

On Fri, 15 May 2009,
wrote:

In article . li,
(Tom Anderson) wrote:

Ah, i'd shamelessly filtered to near the front, and then found that
i couldn't take a secondary position, and chickened out of scooting
out in front of the head of the queue to take primary. In the end i
just pedalled like mad and prayed.

I find I have no problem getting away at the front at lights and
my bike is pretty ordinary.

How is that relevant?

No pedalling like mad or praying required.

And do you then, having queue-jumped in front of them as would have
been the case in this situation, stay ahead of cars trying to do 40
mph down a narrow road with neither effort nor prayer? I could have
done it, by taking the primary position and riding at a normal
pace, but that would have been stunningly antisocial.

I take advantage of being in front to get to the side of the road by the
time I have crossed the junction.

These days there are times when I walk across the line and start off
before the signals change if it is safe to do so, to be sure, I must admit.

--
Colin Rosenstiel