Old May 17th 09, 05:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Crossrail under way

In message
, at
02:49:11 on Sun, 17 May 2009, Mizter T remarked:
Do they have to dig the tunnels that connect to the station first, or
does the station box come first?

The station box, by the looks of it - the construction of which was
kicked off on Friday at Canary Wharf (or at least that's what the PR
people would have you believe!) . From a construction POV I'd imagine
that sequencing the station box first can only make sense - not sure
it'd really be possible or at least easy to do it the other way round.

I'd have thought it would be easier to drive one TBM through the site
(twice if two tunnels) before the box was there. Otherwise you have two
disconnected tunnels to bore, and a machine to move from one side of the
box to the other.