Old December 20th 03, 11:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Buses Acceptable ?

David Splett wrote:
Edward Cowling wrote in message
Everyone uses buses these days, they said.
Do they ? I still consider the bus as drop in
centres on wheels and would rather walk 5 miles
in the rain than use one.
What is the overall perception of them out there
in Internet land ??

I live in Central London, and in the last 10 weeks have used buses on
just two occasions. AFAIAC, they're uncomfortable, frustrating and
slow. IMHO, it's preferable to go by Underground, by bike, or walk,
depending on the journey concerned.

I used to have that view, and I'm still a bit reluctant to hang around at a
non-Countdown bus stop in the hope that a bus turns up. But I've become
much more ready to use buses over the last couple of years. Sure they can
be uncomfortable and slow, but so are most journeys in C-stock trains on
the Circle line. For some journeys, they are clear winners, such as Tate
Britain to Aldwych. In other cases, like Selfridges to Hammersmith, the
bus may not be faster but it's certainly easier (outside the peak anyway).
--
Richard J.