Old May 18th 09, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
1506 1506 is offline

Default Network RUS - electrification strategy - consultation draft

On May 16, 2:32*pm, wrote:
On May 15, 4:05*pm, wrote:

Having had a browse through it, I was interested to see the Chiltern
services from Marylebone via both High Wycombe and Harrow-on-the-Hill
down for eventual AC electrification. I hope that the writers realise
that Harrow - Amersham is already DC electrified (I only see it shown
on one map), so dual voltage stock will be needed for these trains.

Not all that long back I suggested maybe the Bombardier Movias for the
Met.line might have been better off specced for dual voltage - if not
exactly fitted with pans and transformers for exactly such a combined
dual system electrifiaction. It is not as if modern VVVF EMU are
traction system dependant, it is not hard these days to plan this
stuff in.

As usual the less innovative within uk.railway could not see what on
earth for. I'd have though the advantages of a few [say] High Wycombe
[or somehere] to Aldgate at expense of [say] a few Watford or [say]
Uxbridge to Marylebone might be worth it. Nver mind the possibility of
some relief to Baker Street with maybe diversion to Marylebone; MB
does need relief, the route conflicts in MB throat to/from the bays
arer almost as bad as the Met/Circle line junction.

None of what I'm suggesting is outragious, its no more than a sort of
Thameslink style link up of two routes, it just don't cross the
Thames.

There might be some merit in linking the Met. and the Chiltern Network
north of the Marylebone throat where the Met surfaces to cross the
Regents Canal. In theory that would allow the Amersham fasts to avoid
al of those Met Line bottlenecks. OTOH it would be a flat crossing.

It is a pity that those empty tunnels under Lord's Cricket Ground
cannot be put to some use considering the traffic load on the Met at
that point.