Old May 19th 09, 10:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] andypurk@gmail.com is offline

Default London Overground Euston - Watford: 6 car trains?

On 19 May, 09:55, Dominic wrote:
New signs are appearing on London Overground platforms telling drivers
of new Class 378 trains where to stop. It's made me notice that there
are existing markers for 6 car Class 313 trains. Do 6 car Class 313
trains ever operate, perhaps at times of special events at Wembley?
Will 6 car and later 8 car Class 378 trains be possible?
Thanks, Dominic

The only 6 car 313 formations I've had have been running on the
mainline, not DC lines. Some of the platforms north of Harrow may no
longer be in a fit state for 6 car passenger use, although I'm not
certain. 6 car formations do occasionally stable in Euston at
weekends, and I've even see a 6 car stabled formation with the 3 car
service train in front in platform 10. At the moment, there isn't
really sufficient stock to run 6 car trains, unless the North London
line is closed. My feeling is that 8 car 378s will be too long for
most of the intermediate stations between Euston and Watford (and even
for Watford junction platforms 1-4). 6 car formations shouldn't be a
problem, although I doubt that they'll be a regular occurance.