Old May 21st 09, 04:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
Adam Funk[_2_] Adam Funk[_2_] is offline

Default Photography diplomatic incident

On 2009-05-21, MIG wrote:

As was alluded to elsewhere, taking a snap doesn't really get a person
any closer to being able to target a particular child.

CCTV, on the other hand, does. Any low-paid worker in CCTV control
can spot a child waiting with a football kit bag at the same corner
every week and learn enough (to sell to whoever) to be able to say
"your dad's blue Mondeo broke down and he asked me to pick you up from
football; he said you won last week" etc etc.

So why all the fuss about taking snaps and not about the fact that
CCTV is a genuine threat to your children? Bizarre.

I suppose because CCTV seems impersonal: you don't see the person
"behind" the camera. That's irrational, of course; you can see the
photographer and judge whether he looks respectable, whereas you can't
tell whether there's a drooling menace in the surveillance room.