Old May 24th 09, 07:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Boris & co's narrow miss whilst out cycling

On May 24, 5:11*am, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
Mayor Boris and members of his transport team - including Transport
Commissioner Peter Hendy and the Mayor's Director of Transport Policy
Kulveer Ranger - were out and about on their bikes on Friday morning
just gone cycling around in east London, doing a bit of scouting
around in connection with the upcoming "Cycle Super Highways" project,
when this happened on Narrow Street in Limehouse... (video):

http://www.wharf.co.uk/2009/05/video...narrow-es.html

Pretty terrifying - I've never seen anything quite like it. Thankfully
no one was injured. It appears as though the rear doors on the lorry
weren't properly secured, and thus came loose as it went over a road
hump or speed table, or possibly just a bump.

I like the lorry driver's reaction: he seems to be thinking "Oh bloody hell,
that's the 5th time in an hour that's happened."

Yeah, the video does almost suggest he was somewhat nonchalant -
though I'm sure he was as shaken as everyone else. I think this video
should be compulsory viewing for each and every lorry driver - it
really send the message that one should 'make sure your vehicle is
secure'.

One thing I was thinking is whether the driver should have moved the
lorry afterwards. I can only presume that he didn't drive off, but as
the video shows he unhooks the back door from the mangled car and
moves the lorry out of the way, seemingly so as to clear the road for
other traffic. I suppose that as no-one was hurt then it was legit to
move the vehicle - though someone could so easily have been hurt of
course. Not that people always think quite straight after something
like this has happened. He must have got a further shock as he saw
Boris being one of those inspecting the carnage! That's not to make
light of this though - an ugly incident, no doubt.