Old May 24th 09, 09:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default Boris & co's narrow miss whilst out cycling

Mizter T wrote on 24 May 2009 01:39:23 ...
Mayor Boris and members of his transport team - including Transport
Commissioner Peter Hendy and the Mayor's Director of Transport Policy
Kulveer Ranger - were out and about on their bikes on Friday morning
just gone cycling around in east London, doing a bit of scouting
around in connection with the upcoming "Cycle Super Highways" project,
when this happened on Narrow Street in Limehouse... (video):

http://www.wharf.co.uk/2009/05/video...narrow-es.html

Pretty terrifying - I've never seen anything quite like it. Thankfully
no one was injured. It appears as though the rear doors on the lorry
weren't properly secured, and thus came loose as it went over a road
hump or speed table, or possibly just a bump.

It looks like a speed table to me. At that point the lorry is well over
to the right to overtake cyclists riding two-abreast. He then has to
move left to avoid the first parked car, which throws the loosened door
open.

There's more reportage from The Wharf (a local freebie paper) and the
Guardian he
http://www.wharf.co.uk/2009/05/boris...-after-tr.html
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...ling-near-miss

Reports of this incident will inevitably link cycling with danger -

The danger to other road users of cycling two-abreast, you mean?
:-)

however, were the situation slightly different, an incident such as
this could prove pretty dangerous to other types of road users as
well, i.e. pedestrians and drivers/occupants of other motor vehicles
on the road. Nasty.

Agreed.

--
Richard J.