Old May 24th 09, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default The past...

In article
,
(Sailor) wrote:

On 24 mai, 14:06, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009, Marc wrote:
The past is like a foreign country they do things differently
there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw

Brilliant! Crossposted to uk.transport.london and uk.railway so they
can enjoy it as well. Lovely shot of the aerials at the NPL around
3:50, and a lovely section about the canal in the second part.

Cyclists back then must have been made of cast iron. Nobody had
anything more advanced than a Sturmey-Archer three-speed [1], and
yet they still tackled open roads, hills, whatever. Makes my
27-speed setup seem a bit wimpish really.

Belay that! In part two, they have to get off and push up a hill!

[1] Some, of course, would deny that any such thing exists.

It seemed to me that more than half of the chaps had 4 speed derailier
gear and one or two a double clanger. As it said , the station was
Rugby, as were the vlf transmitters. The intriging thing was that a
special train was laid on with special cycle cars and a buffet! It
must have been very ancient days -- all those porters at Rugby! more
than the entire WCML these days.

1955 they said. LMS stock by the look of it.

--
Colin Rosenstiel