Old December 21st 03, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport,uk.rec.driving,uk.transport.london
JNugent JNugent is offline

Default reducing congestion

wrote:

"Doki" wrote:

... if you reduce the tax burden surely you encourage enterprise,
which moves more money around the economy and thus you still get
your tax. I am not an economist, but AFAIK there are still arguments
about high vs low tax . The rich will always provide you with more
revenue per capita as they're spending and earning more cash.

That was Thatcher's theory, it didn't work.

Unfortunately for you, it did.

When the top tax rate rate was reduced from Labour's dizzying 95% to the
current 40% (and during the intermnediate stages, as that was not a single
reduction but the effect of a series of them), the Treasury receipts from
those higher-rate taxpayers increased.

But I expect there are some eho would rather see the Treasury get less as
long as a few toffs were getting rippied-off. eh?