Old May 26th 09, 01:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster Online & change of email address

On May 26, 12:43*am, Mike wrote:
My email address changed some time ago with a change of ISP and I no
longer have access to mail received at it. *

An Oyster (PAYG no automatic top up) card is registered at that email
address and I tried to log in using my username and password to check
on the current balance. *I'm nowhere near London so can't check it any
other way.

After logging in the system insisted on sending me a new temporary
password *'due to a system upgrade' * Yet despite logging in with my
correct username and password it wouldn't accept a new email address
(and existing postcode) on a second validation page and insisted on my
old email address

It has now locked me out (and locked my oyster account?) as I failed
to enter that password when attempting to log in again.

How can I register a new email address against an Oyster account?

Start from scratch?

Ring their 'helpline' *?

Give up?

I've at least a tenner on the card that was last used in July last
year.

This is also a problem x2 as I've another card that was last used in
July last year and which I need to check the credit available.

Call their helpline. This problem was caused by TfL migrating the
'Oyster online' service over from a proprietary 'back-room' system to
a new far more scalable and customisable system a while back - the big
problem was that they had to reset all the users passwords when they
did this (presumably they were unable to export them from the old
system they were changing away from - I assume because they were
unobtainably encrypted).

I'd definitely suggest that you ring the Oyster helpline as I'm
absolutely certain that you'll not be the first person who's
experienced this problem - they should have a procedure 'on file' to
resolve this issue.

If you want a geographic number to call, then use 020 7227 7886.