Old May 28th 09, 07:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
[email protected] phildeaves@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default ELL progress report

On 27 May, 19:35, John B wrote:
3) however, everyone involved explicitly and repeatedly said that they
would difficultly-but-comfortably make the January 17 deadline for TfL
and BBCJV to hand over an operational railway to LOROL to start
running test trains on.

Of course, running test trains doesn't necessarily equate to
"everything's finished".

4) the new stations appear to be sensibly futureproofed length-wise:
the 4 platforms at DJ are the same length, give or take 5ish metres,
and although the major building work still going on at the south end
of DJ made it impossible to reach the far end I'd be very surprised if
they weren't all 6-car. I've not seen the claim that the bay platforms
are 4-car made anywhere 'official' rather than blogs/fora - anyone
know otherwise? SHS is 8-car.

If it's any help, the signalling plans that I've had to use and do
loads of operational modelling from has these lengths quoted:
1: 132m
2: 106m
3: 106m
4: 111m

The plan has a dotted line future extension at the north end of
platform 4 to bring it to essentially the same length as platform 1.
Allowing for stopping margins, I would say that platforms 2 and 3 are
to all intents and purposes (on the plan I'm looking at) 4 car only,
whereas the outer platforms are/could be 6 car.

The lengths quoted are for "usable" length, which is the space left
over once you've taken account of buffer and signal positions/
sighting. For some reason not clear, the platform 2/3 signals are
further south than those for platforms 1/4. Only 6m further south,
but nevertheless not neatly lined up.

PhilD