Old May 28th 09, 08:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Richard J.[_3_] Richard J.[_3_] is offline

Default Another Tube strike announced

wrote on 28 May 2009 14:12:57 ...
On Thu, 28 May 2009 12:38:10 +0100
"Recliner" wrote:

About 10,000 Tube workers have voted to strike on two separate disputes
over pay deals and proposed job losses.

I wonder if we market RMT strikes as an historical tourist attraction. Perhaps
advertising them as the last bastion of large scale trouble making marxist
scum in britain so kids could come and watch how life used to be in the 70s
and 80s.

Last bastion? It still happens in France, too, but in a much more
tourist-friendly way. If the Métro/RER drivers in Paris decide to
strike, the RATP (TfL equivalent) issue quite detailed bulletins 48 and
24 hours before the strike saying how many trains will run on each line
(e.g. 1 train in 3). Generally some sort of service, with a published
timetable, operates from Gare du Nord to CDG airport so as not to make
life too difficult for the tourists. SNCF even have a dedicated
interactive website for such occasions,
www.abcdtrain.com, where you can
find out the temporary timetable for any journey in Ile de France
("Greater Paris").

Somehow I don't see our strikes becoming that tourist-friendly.
--
Richard J.