Old May 28th 09, 11:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Prepay on national rail/staff pass

On May 28, 11:42*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Thu, 28 May 2009 15:21:00 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Hello!

Just recently noticed the prepay oyster readers (as in the stand-alone
on platform ones for when the ticket office area is closed and
passengers enter through an open gate) have appeared, albeit covered
up at the moment, at Crayford station in Z6 which is a Nat Rail
station.

Obviously this means that they are extending the payg system to
National Rail in London, but the million dollar question is will my
"Bus Operator" staff pass be valid on these services once Pay as you
go is active - as it has become on the new London Overground out to
watford etc?

There has been no info whatsoever published about if or how staff
facilities will be handled on National Rail PAYG. * If you are a bus
company employee that does not have privilege ticket facilities as a
result of being a former LT employee (prior to rail privatisation) I
would doubt very much if there will be any extension of validity. *Even
for those of us with NR privilege facilities I'd be surprised if the
TOCs mirror what LUL has done in providing a priv rate PAYG facility -
they'll probably prefer that people queue at ticket offices!

I'd have thought the TOCs might quite like the idea of getting priv
rate folks away from clogging up their ticket queues - you obviously
think otherwise! Would there be any possibility of activating the TfL
staff Oyster passes of qualifying employees for priv rate PAYG on NR -
or are they programmed in such a way so as to preclude them from ever
being used as an 'electronic purse' for PAYG purposes?

Overground concessions are funded by TfL - I wasn't aware they'd been
extended to bus employees unless you work for East Thames Buses?

I thought everyone with a TfL staff pass got free travel on all TfL
services, including the entire London Overground network?