Old May 29th 09, 08:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
[email protected] boltar2003@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default Another Tube strike announced

On Fri, 29 May 2009 01:29:18 -0700 (PDT)
Martin Deutsch wrote:
The circumstances are somewhat different, but during an illegal strike
on the Glasgow Subway in 2002, SPT sacked 32 (of 45) drivers, and it
seems at some point were considering shutting the service for three
months while they trained new staff [1]. In the end, they re-hired
them all, but under terms more favourable to the employer [2].

I suppose the big difference is that for Glasgow the subway is a nice-to-have
rather than an absolutely essential public transport service like the tube
is in london. IIRC it was closed for a number of months anyway at one point
when they upgraded the system.

But I do think TfL needs to square up to the RMT because unless they get
a much needed kick up the backside this is only going to get worse the closer
we get to the olympics. Perhaps new legistlation along the lines of the
maximum legal length of strikes or maximum number of strikes allowed in a
year should be introduced since at least that would limit some of the damage
they could cause.

B2003