Old May 29th 09, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Steve Fitzgerald Steve Fitzgerald is offline

Default Prepay on national rail/staff pass

In message
,
Mizter T writes
I don't think for a second that TfL Staff Passes will be valid on
National Rail (NR) at all whatsoever, even when Oyster PAYG is
(eventually) introduced on NR - indeed, there are already NR routes
where one can use Oyster PAYG but cannot use a TfL Staff Pass - e.g.
Rainham to Barking, West Drayton to West Ealing [1].

(I am no expert at all on TfL Staff Passes so I'm unclear on whether
they are valid on NR routes where interavailable ticketing applies,
e.g. Stratford to Liverpool Street.)

Yes they are. There are parts of the national rail network which have
grandfather rights of some sort:

Amersham - Marylebone
Stratford - Liverpool Street
Finsbury Park - Moorgate (via Drayton Park only)
Kentish Town - Elephant & C/London Bridge/Moorgate
Fenchurch Street - Upminster
Euston - Watford Jct.

are all valid.

When I was talking about the possibility of TfL Staff Passes being
enabled for an 'electronic purse' facility, I was thinking of those TfL
staff who get priv rate travel on NR and whether they could pay for
that priv rate travel using their TfL Staff Pass - their TfL Staff Pass
in effect acting as a normal Oyster card albeit one that affords the
holder priv rate fares as opposed to full rate fares.

Unfortunately bus company employees (apart from ex-LT employees from
pre-rail privatisation days) don't get priv rate fares on NR.

As someone who joined LU after priv days, I would like to see the
facility to have a purse (in addition to the staff travel) which would
then be deducted from in the normal way for national rail journeys. At
the moment, my only option is to carry a second 'proper' Oyster card.