Old May 29th 09, 11:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
disgoftunwells disgoftunwells is offline

Default Another Tube strike announced

On 29 May, 12:04, Tony Polson wrote:
disgoftunwells wrote:
On 28 May, 19:13, Tony Polson wrote:
disgoftunwells wrote:
Where you have an essential service, how about legislation to remove*
the right to strike and replace it with compulsory pendulum
arbitration. This has worked well at many companies, where a strike
would damage employees and employers. It could work in the public
sector as well.

The first reaction to such a suggestion would be for the RMT to call an
all-out strike.

That would of course be a political strike which is banned under the
80s legislation, so the RMT could then be stripped of its assets.

Nonsense. *RMT would be striking because management were unilaterally
imposing an unacceptable form of wage negotiation. *That's a fundamental
issue and one that would form a perfectly legal basis for industrial
action. *Comrade Crow would have no problem rustling up a vote against,
so all requirements of the industrial relations legislation would have
been complied with. *

Please read what I said - "legislation to remove the right to
strike ....and [enforce compulsory arbitration]"

This would be nothing to do with the management and the RMT. If the
RMT launches a strike then would be striking about Government
legislation - i.e striking against a third party which is illegal
under the 1984 act (I think - I studied it 20 years ago - but
certainly one of them)

But ultimately, when faced with constant blackmail, a day of reckoning
has to arrive.

That's where you're wrong. *Decades of simmering discontent and periodic
strikes have led to more decades of simmering discontent and periodic
strikes. *Nothing has changed. *Nothing is bringing it to a head, so
there won't be a day of reckoning.

I was thinking more generally. When was the last time the miners went
on strike? Even Rover workers turned a new leaf, though ultimately too
late to save themselves.

Workers keep getting what they ask for. The management can't do
anything. finally external stakeholders force the issue. In a
competitive market, external stakeholders are customers and act very
quickly.