Old May 30th 09, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
D DB 90001 D DB 90001 is offline

Default Oyster revenue allocation question

On 30 May, 23:38, "Richardr" wrote:
"D DB 90001" wrote

The easiest way to solve the problem would be to adopt a LOROL style
approach to ALL suburban services in London, whereby the service
frequency and operations are determined by TfL and operated under
contract by the respective TOCs.

But wouldn't that effectively mean that almost the entire rail network in
the south-east would be decided by TfL - a body controlled by the mayor of
just part of that network?

Most south-east services are to, from, through London.

Ah, I was only referring to Z1-6 services which usually terminate
inside zone 6, but I didn't take account of services which terminate
at South London Termini and call at a Z6 station only, but no
intermediate stations. I didn't think that through, forgetting about
the journey opportunities which you have at East Croydon for example,
which would be oyster payg compatible, but also have fast services
that would inevitably have to be included in the oyster system. That
probably wouldn't work as I thought then.

However, I still think that local suburban services that *do*
terminate inside of Z1-6 or at stations such as Sevenoaks or Dartford
just outside Z6 should be managed by TfL, just like all bus routes,
even those which run outside of London but are mainly inside Z1-6, are
managed and run by TfL. Frankly because TfL are more likely to get
better results than other local authorities or DfT.