Old May 31st 09, 12:44 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Graham Murray Graham Murray is offline

Default Oyster revenue allocation question

D DB 90001 writes:

On 31 May, 10:33, Graham Murray wrote:
D DB 90001 writes:
Would it not be possible to adopt a system whereby once the cap is
reached, each operator gets the proportion of the capped fair according
to usage. So if (for simplicity of illustration) all single fares were
£1 and the cap £5 and someone makes 2 journeys on operator A and 1 on
operator B, operator A would get £2 and operator B £1. If the cap is
reached and the person makes 4 journey on operator A and 2 on operator
B, then operator A would get £5 x 4/6 = £3.33 and operator B £5 x 2/6 =
£1.67.

Potentially that could work, but would operator A get more than
operator B if the journey was twice as long (and would it be in terms
of distance or time?).

That is a result of the simplification. In practice I would expect the
sharing to done on ratio of the cost of uncapped fares for journeys made
on each operator. So, in my examples, if each journey on operator A
still cost £1 but those on operator B cost £2, then in the capped case
each operator would have received £2.50 as the total 'uncapped' fare
would have been £4 for each operator.