Old May 31st 09, 08:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
D DB 90001 D DB 90001 is offline

Default Oyster revenue allocation question

On 31 May, 18:32, Mizter T wrote:
On May 31, 6:13*pm, D DB 90001
wrote:

On 31 May, 14:54, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:

[snip]

The eventual outcome will almost certainly be that all fares totally within
the zones will be based on the TfL system, and at a common price;

Southern have stated previously that they didn't want to make the
fares the same as TfL zonal fares, and I believe they were considering
having different single fares for the South London TOCs, especially
SWT which was refusing to accept oyster at all unless the condition of
them being able to set different fares was met, hence the slow take-up
of Oyster in SWT-land. Not to mention SWT's own brand of smartcard
which is being rolled out soon.

I hope that they drop the argument that fares should be independent,
because this complicates issues further if they don't follow the same
fares as TfL has set in North London for Tube, NR and combinations.

Where on earth did you get the idea that different Oyster PAYG fares
for different TOCs were being seriously considered - I mean, being
considered by the relevant parties, as opposed to just being discussed
by armchair observers completely outside the whole negotiation
process?

I have never come across any suggestion whatsoever that Oyster PAYG
fares on NR would vary by TOC. All the current rail-only fares within
London are now priced on a zonal basis and have been since January '07
- indeed the driver behind this change was Oyster PAYG, and this was
considered an essential precursor to that. (The change was decreed by
DfT Rail on the urging of TfL.)

As I've said elsewhere in this thread, I would not be remotely
surprised to find that Oyster PAYG single fares on NR are exactly the
same as the existing zonal farescale, i.e. not any cheaper than their
paper ticket equivalents. The advantage of Oyster PAYG on NR will thus
be (a) convenience, (b) the potential for capping and (c) the ability
to get automatic ticket extensions through PAYG when travelling beyond
the validity of one's Travelcard.

However, all NR fares on Oyster PAYG will be the same - except for
those journeys where interavailable ticketing applies, e.g. Stratford
to Liverpool Street, where I expect the cheaper LU fare would apply
instead.

I may have misunderstood what I have read, I didn't mean that fares
would vary by TOC, but just be different compared to Tube fares. Is
that closer to the truth? I don't know where I implied in the thread
that the fares would vary by TOC because I know that would be complete
nonsense. Apologies for the confusion!