Old June 1st 09, 05:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
tim..... tim..... is offline

Default SouthEastern HS1 Trial Service Finally Announced

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
On 1 June, 13:18, Roland Perry wrote:
Perhaps they are expecting people to use Ebbsfleet as a P&R for London.
I'd certainly give that try if I lived nearby on the M25. Ashford is a
run-down provincial town (sorry, but that's the reality), and I can't
see why people would want to travel from there to London and back on a
premium service outside commuter hours.

Since - as you point out - Ashford has no amenities of its own, the
only way to have an evening out is to go up to London, and currently
that requires spending the best part of 3 hours on a train for the
round trip.

Not sure what sort of amenities you think are missing but I would have
though that the majority of "evenings out" destinations from Ashford would
be satisfied by a trip to Maidstone or Canterbury (not to mention a drive to
a pretty village pub, of which there are many)

tim