Old June 2nd 09, 07:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Siamese twin traffic lights in Walthamstow

"John Rowland" wrote in message
Traffic from Edmonton reaching the Crooked Billet Roundabout is greeted by
two adjacent sets of lights on a single pole.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...8. 67,,2,2.91
Both sets work in sync, both face the same way and none of the lights is a
filter arrow.

Traffic from Gants Hill gets the same thing on the other side of the
roundabout, although there seems to be a noticeable angle between this
pair...
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&so...96. 06,,0,6.8

What's that about? I've never noticed it anywhere else.

All the lights at those junctions appear to be duplicated, although the stop
line lights are in the more usual high and low combination, to give better
long distance visibility. I suspect it could be because of the width of the
approach road, it is felt that two red lights give better visibility than
one. It may also be to ensure that a single lamp failure does not leave the
junction without a repeater light.

Colin Bignell