Old June 5th 09, 10:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Jack Taylor Jack Taylor is offline

Default Best house name

Ian Jelf wrote:

Someone on (the much missed) Radio 4 programme "Home Truths" told a
story of seeing a house in the North of Scotland whose name was the
Spanish for "To Let". They conjectured that the owners had seen
such a sign on a house while on holiday in Spain and thought it was a
"nice name", not appreciating its meaning.

Actually that reminds me of our next door neighbours, when I was a young
lad. In a fit of supreme pretension, they named their bungalow "La Baraque",
thinking that it was French for "the bungalow". They were mortified when,
after many years, it was pointed out to them that "baraque" is French for a
shed or hut and is even used in the context "Quelle baraque" to mean "what a
dump"!