Old June 6th 09, 02:48 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was:Tube strike]

On 6 June, 15:23, Mizter T wrote:
On Jun 6, 1:05*pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 04:55:47 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On Jun 5, 11:28 pm, Paul Corfield wrote:

[snip]

True but the OP has not indicated what their particular requirements
are. It might be there is some clever way of getting about that he has
not considered. *I appreciate there are no guarantees about being able
to get on trains, DLR or buses but there may be options by being
"unconventional" that people would not routinely consider. *People also
need to bear in mind that a number of former NR stations are now LUL
managed and therefore might well be affected - the former Silverlink
stations! *This creates new problems and restrictions - especially in NW
London.

Good point about the ex-Silverlink stations now under LUL management -
that's all stations from Harrow & Wealdstone to Queen's Park with the
exception of Willesden Jn, Kew Gardens, Gunnersbury, plus there's the
other stations where LU now "manage" the Overground platforms - i.e.
West Brompton, Highbury & Islington, Blackhorse Road.

Err I thought Gunnersbury and Kew Gardens were with LU now.

That's what I said - but re-reading it, I see it wasn't at all clear -
the exception I was speaking of was simply Willesden Jn on the H&W to
Queen's Park stretch of the DC lines - Kew Gardens and Gunnersbury
were just meant to be in the list of LUL managed stations.

Then there's stations where LUL manages the main bit of the station
though not the National Rail platforms - e.g. West Ham, Seven Sisters,
Stratford.

Correct. *Tottenham Hale in terms of the ticket office but there is
independent access to the NR platforms, similar applies to Walthamstow
Central.

Well of course the NR side of Walthamstow Central can operate quite
independently as the ticket offices aren't in the LU bit (of course
you know all this very well!). At Tottenham Hale there's at least one
if not two NR ticket machines outside the LU building in the covered
area near the platforms - NXEA could just send some RPIs up there to
sell tickets.

I'm guessing that LU would deploy what staff they had so as to cover
these major interchange stations, but maybe there wouldn't be enough
suitably qualified staff to cover the Harrow & Wealdstone to Queen's
Park stretch? That said, weren't some of these stations unmanned for
at least some of the day in the Silverlink era?

I doubt the ex Silverlink stations could run unmanned today as I believe
there have been changes to the safety case etc. *Not 100% certain on
this point.

Which is an interesting follow-on discussion in and of itself - though
I hesitate to follow that line of discussion without being in full
possession of the facts.

And what about Chiltern Railways - there's the question of whether
they could call at their normal LU stations - i.e. Amersham, Chalfont
& Latimer, Chorleywood, Rickmansworth, Harrow-on-the-Hill - but is
there also any question about whether they could actually run - are
the LU signallers going on strike too? Even if they could call at
those stations.

[Sorry, unfinished sentence alert! I'll finish this point below...]

It's all RMT staff so that includes the signal staff so even if ASLEF
drivers predominate on a line then it could be as in the past where lack
of signal staff mean few if any trains run.

OK, thanks for clearing that up.

As I was going to say before I interrupted myself(!)... Even if they
(Chiltern Railway) could call at those stations (i.e. the LU stations
on the Aylesbury route), they might not want to as their trains could
end up being overrun. But if there's no signallers, then they wouldn't
be able to run a service at all.

(I suppose Chiltern could possibly run a Harrow-on-the-Hill to
Marylebone shuttle if a few non-striking LU signallers could be found
- though are there any crossovers south of HotH?)

There aren't.