Old December 21st 03, 08:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Metropolian Line question

In article ,
(Jonathan Morton) wrote:

Sorry, no images, but the dates would be right, co-inciding roughly
with the intoduction of the A59 and A60 stock (IIRC, "A" for Amersham
and the years '59 and '60).

A60 and A62 in fact. Still in service.

Not sure if the reference to "second pair" of lines is strictly correct.
Certainly the Met south of Harrow is paired by direction (very efficient
use of space, with the slows in the middle, because you can use a single
island platform where there are no fast platforms, as at Northwick Park
for instance, and one island for each direction where fast trains stop,
Harrow for instance). I think this continues north of Harrow, but I
can't remember exactly. So I would guess that quadrupling was achieved
by a new track on each side, BICBW.

Two new tracks on the West side IIRC. I have a photo published by Ian
Allan somewhere of the widening under construction.

--
Colin Rosenstiel