Old June 10th 09, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
redcat redcat is offline

Default There should be litter bins on the underground

pg123 wrote:
There are enough outlets selling take-away food on the underground and,
at times, I have to eat as I use the tube to travel between
appointments. No, I'm not going to carry around food wrapping with me
all day so I have to find somewhere to discretely drop it. I never leave
it on train seats. Now, with swine flu, we are told to bin our tissues.
Where? So they get left on seats. I am not responsible for this but many
people are. I know that sometime in the past a bomb was planted in a
litter bin. As a knee-jerk reaction all the bins were removed. Now there
is a greater hazard of injury by slipping on discarded litter than there
is of being a victim to terrorist activity. And, possibly, vermin
infestation is a consequence of the litter bin removal. At some stations
they use clear bags, which seems to be the obvious answer. A terrorist
could as easily plant a bomb in a bin in Oxford Street and, unlike the
underground stations, Oxford Street stores don't close when they receive
a bomb warning, instead there is a discrete message to alert staff. So,
bring back the bins on the underground. Not having them there is a
serious health risk.

They have hoops with clear garbage bags suspended from them in some
places. Not nearly enough. I was surprised to see them.