Old June 10th 09, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default There should be litter bins on the underground

"redcat" wrote in message
pg123 wrote:
There are enough outlets selling take-away food on the underground
and, at times, I have to eat as I use the tube to travel between
appointments. No, I'm not going to carry around food wrapping with me
all day so I have to find somewhere to discretely drop it. I never
leave it on train seats. Now, with swine flu, we are told to bin our
tissues. Where? So they get left on seats. I am not responsible for
this but many people are. I know that sometime in the past a bomb
was planted in a litter bin. As a knee-jerk reaction all the bins
were removed. Now there is a greater hazard of injury by slipping on
discarded litter than there is of being a victim to terrorist
activity. And, possibly, vermin infestation is a consequence of the
litter bin removal. At some stations they use clear bags, which
seems to be the obvious answer. A terrorist could as easily plant a
bomb in a bin in Oxford Street and, unlike the underground stations,
Oxford Street stores don't close when they receive a bomb warning,
instead there is a discrete message to alert staff. So, bring back
the bins on the underground. Not having them there is a serious
health risk.

They have hoops with clear garbage bags suspended from them in some
places. Not nearly enough. I was surprised to see them.

I wonder if they're only fitted on above-ground platforms, where the
bomb threat is much less?