Old June 10th 09, 05:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
1506 1506 is offline

Default There should be litter bins on the underground

On Jun 10, 2:54*am, "pg123" wrote:
There are enough outlets selling take-away food on the underground and, at
times, I have to eat as I use the tube to travel between appointments. No,
I'm not going to carry around food wrapping with me all day so I have to
find somewhere to discretely drop it. I never leave it on train seats. Now,
with swine flu, we are told to bin our tissues. Where? So they get left on
seats. I am not responsible for this but many people are. I know that
sometime in the past a bomb was planted in a litter bin. As a knee-jerk
reaction all the bins were removed. Now there is a greater hazard of injury
by slipping on discarded litter than there is of being a victim to terrorist
activity. And, possibly, vermin infestation is a consequence of the litter
bin removal. At some stations they use clear bags, which seems to be the
obvious answer. A terrorist could as easily plant a bomb in a bin in Oxford
Street and, unlike the underground stations, Oxford Street stores don't
close when they receive a bomb warning, instead there is a discrete message
to alert staff. So, bring back the bins on the underground. Not having them
there is a serious health risk.

When I first utilized the London Underground in the 1960s, dark blue
litterbins were commonplace. As the IRA terror campaign came to
London, they were removed. Lockers at mainline stations where also
removed.

IIRC the same sized litterbins started to re-appear the 1980s. At
that time they were painted orange. My best guess is that they have
again been removed. This time due to the evil of islamic terrorism.
Do not expect them to return any time soon, if ever.