Old June 11th 09, 02:15 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Charles Ellson Charles Ellson is offline

Default LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was: Tube strike]

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 16:41:53 -0700 (PDT), Mizter T
wrote:

On Jun 10, 11:33*pm, asdf wrote:

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 17:33:12 +0100, Paul Corfield wrote:
It is very odd that the TfL website doesn't seem to deal with Overground
service status terribly well.

It looks like the NLL and Euston Watfords are suffering a bit "due to an
unusually large passenger flow" - what a lovely turn of phrase.

They're crowded enough in the a.m. peak on a normal day (to the point
of people regularly being left behind on the platform) - I was a bit
surprised that media reports were emphasising that the route was
running, as most people wouldn't have a hope of getting on.

I know the NLL is crazy busy during morning and evening peaks, but how
hectic does is get on the DC line? I know people who live up Kensal
Green way, but none of them ever seem to use the service at the height
of the peaks (explained by cycling, walking, bus, odd shifts, doesn't
go where they need to be).

I suspect a lot of people have managed to pass it (and other DC line
stations) without noticing it is there.

Much of the DC line signage is still as bad as it was after "British
Rail" was invented (see the picture of Kenton Station in
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenton_station and compare with
historical photographs of DC/NLL stations showing more prominent
signage _above_ the entrance canopy). While the LMS/early BR listing
of 1001 destinations would be a bit OTT, the signage still needs
improvement so that people notice the stations and have basic
information amounting to more than a couple of overgrown badges.

Kensal Green station does not look a lot better
[http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kensal_...ilway_station], having
the appearance of a warehouse or village hall and an apparent failure
to make the LO/NR symbols prominent on a contrasting background;
putting "station" at the end of the name would also help.

And on top of the strike, the London Midland service was well and
truly stuffed by a signal failure in the Carpenders Park area.

So I imagine the sport of "how many people can you fit in a 313?" was
well practised this morning.

Joyous!